10.14.2013

October 14, 2013 Probably the Craziest Week of My Life

Hey everyone!

This week has been nothing short of crazy. I think that's the best word I have to describe it. I'm having a hard time remembering anything before Saturday, but I'm trying. 

President Samuelian called me on Saturday morning during personal study, and I thought he was calling about transfers. He asked me to take the phone off speakerphone and then he told me the heartbreaking news about Andrew. I was silent on the phone for a long time because of the shock of it all, but the first thing I can remember thinking was that he is back with his father. Without any doubt I know that they're back together. I can picture Brother Page giving Andrew one of his super squeezy hugs and them joking around about the Red Sox and deer jerky.  

I'm so proud to say that Andrew was one of my greatest friends. He was full of life and energy, and had the purest testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Everyone around him could tell that he believed it not just because of what he said, but how he lived. You could tell something was different about him, you know? He had a special way of making people feel loved and always knew how to help me with my problems. Even if that was just listening with open ears (which happened a lot). 

Right now I'm pretty sad. I'm sad not because I won't ever see him again, but because I looked forward to making more memories and continuing a great friendship. But it's the Lord's plan, and He clearly needed him more than we need him here on earth. The most comforting thing about all of this is that I know I'll see him again! This life isn't the end. Our Heavenly Father has provided us a way to get back to Him, and that we can see our loved ones. I know we'll be able to meet again and I can picture us planning a cheesy group date and doing our super sweet handshake. We'll be separated for a short time, and I'm excited for the reunion that will be years in the making!

This gospel has helped me so much the past few days. The news has been hard to swallow, but I know everything is ok because of Jesus Christ. He provided a way that we can overcome death, but also that we can overcome our sins, but He also knows exactly what we go through. Like it says in Isaiah, He's borne our griefs and carried our sorrows, and by His stripes we are healed. Christ suffered for us to know how to help us through the difficult times in our lives, and that's how he heals us. We just have to trust Him and let Him do that. Figuring out how to let Him heal us is the tricky part and sometimes it takes time, but it will always work out. 

This experience has helped me to see what it could be like for those who don't know or understand the Plan of Salvation, and that's why I'm here. I'm glad I have the opportunity to tell people about it. I can't imagine trying to overcome the death of a loved one without that knowledge. The sad thing is that some don't know it and it is what will heal their broken hearts. 

So mom, I don't have time to really grieve, but it's ok. I'm here doing what the Lord wants me to do. I'm just going to keep on keepin' on. Forget myself and go to work.

But I'm more worried about Sister Page. Give her, Ashleigh, Arica, and Arin huge hugs for me (each individually, please). Sister Page is one of the most faithful women I know, so just let her know how much I love her and that I'm praying for them all! Hugs all around!

Yeah.

So.

Even without that, this week has been crazy. After President Samuelian told me what happened to Andrew, he said that I was being transferred. So here I am! I left North Marion ward this morning, and now I'm in a town called Sweet Home. Like Sweet Home Alabama, but minus the Alabama part. I've been here about an hour so I have no idea where I am right now haha. So my new companion's name is Sister J and she's only been out one transfer more than me! Isn't that crazy!? I'm not really sure what to think. Either Sister J really knows what's going on or I'm pretty competent. Maybe a little bit of both. 

I saw a friend from BYU at the transfer meeting. That was kinda weird and awesome at the same time. We both were like WHAT?! He was like "I would hug you, but.." and I cut him off like, "Yeah, don't." 

Our investigator Leah got baptized on Friday! I have pictures of a ton of stuff, but it's all in my suitcase. I'll have it next week for ya. But Leah is super awesome. Her husband John got baptized at the end of July and they're excited to get sealed together in a year!

I saw Sister L (my MTC comp) on Wednesday! We went to the visitors' center with John and Leah and she was there. It was great!

I'm glad you got in touch with Mama Chisholm this week. Isn't she amazing?! Saying goodbye to them was hard yesterday. 

But I'm excited to get to work in this new area! They're another elder in my district that's waiting on his visa too. That's pretty cool.

Oh, President Samuelian had us all take a strengths assessment test and I found out that my top five strengths are:
1. Learner
2. Input (basically means learner, but more of a hoarder of information)
3. Positivity
4. Includer
5. Activator

I think those are pretty self-explanatory, but I thought it was interesting that learner was my top one. Looking back, I guess it kind of makes sense. Anyways, do with that information what you will.

Well, I love you! Thanks for being so amazing. Keep on keepin' on. As Andrew said, "Stay in school kids."

Love you!
Sister Baker

Here's a link to the story about Elder Andrew Page.  His influence for good will continue on and he will be very missed but never forgotten.  
http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Charlotte-teen-killed-on-missionary-trip-in-Calf-227531101.html 


No comments:

Post a Comment