11.11.2013

November 4, 2013 Day by Day

So I'm just going to do an overview of the week. Like a day by day play by play of this week. You like what I did there?? 

Aiight. So Monday. After P-day lovely stuff we had a lesson with a new investigator named L. We taught her the first lesson which she already knew before because she took the discussions from Elders in Arizona. So we invited her to read and pray about the Book of Mormon, and she was just like, "why? I already know it's true!" And we're like "Ahh! Alright then.." Yep. Awesome. After we left she ordered a quad with her name on it in genuine leather!! 

Tuesday. Sister J was sick so we stayed in a lot of the day. That day was really nice outside so it was kind of sad. Meh.

Wednesday. We had a lesson with this guy named J. He had met with missionaries before and basically had us there to tell us he would talk to us more than once. He can't get past the whole grace and works thing. He can't see how it would be good news of the gospel if he actually had to do something to gain his salvation. Uhhh... Yeah. So he had us talking with him for about an hour just to say, "sorry, I'm already stuck in my ways." That was sad. He'll be taught the truth one day. I think that's one of the hardest parts of missionary work. People turn us down every day and I just want to open their door again and shout " DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING?!?!" Yeah. That wouldn't bring the spirit, it would bring the cops. Not good. But seriously. They don't know what they're missing! 

Moving on. We also had a lesson with R and L. They're in their 70s. Super cute couple. Well it's hard because R found out that I'm 19 and now dismisses a lot of what I say. Like he'll listen to me, then he'll chuckle to himself and say to everyone else "she's 19!". I'm like UGHH. Sister J is 24 so it seems like he thinks I don't know anything. And I'm like DUDE. I have to share the most important message you'll ever hear in your entire life! Bah humbug.

Thursday. Lesson with D. She's blind and super sweet. Raised RLDS, so she has a hard time with Brigham Young. Thursday was also Halloween. I dressed up as Sister J and she dressed up as me. Haha. We're so clever. We had to be home at 7 that night though, then we did our weekly planning. Sister J and I had to have a serious comp inventory. She finally realized that I get annoyed at her all the time and won't talk. Well, if she wouldn't interrupt me when I do say something then I would talk more. Yeah. So every time she drives me bonkers I try to be humble and think what would Jesus do? Jesus wouldn't say something rude, so I don't say anything. So that's that. 

Friday. Awesome district meeting. I'm trying to have better personal study in the mornings. I also read Elder Holland's talk, "The Ministry of Angels" That rocked my socks off. 

Saturday. Randomly stopped my R and D's house to see how they're doing. R is getting baptized November 30th and D is a less active. We're working with them on quitting smoking, so when we talked to them we found out that they were up to smoking 10-11 cigarettes a day whereas before they were at 2-3. We talked about their problem and I asked them if they love God or smoking more. We got them more motivated to quit and they have some people living with them that we thought were going to make it harder, but they're determined to help them quit. So I shared a spiritual lightning bolt of a message then we left. About 10 minutes later we got a call to come over because they were throwing all their cigarettes away! ( They had kept saying that after "this" pack, they would be done." So we saw them throw everything away and they're starting fresh. They seem more determined this time and we're trying to help them as much as we can by sending scriptures and uplifting quotes. But it really is up to them. If they have the faith and the determination to do it, it will be done. We were really trying to help them realize that. 

Sunday. R came to church! When we talked to him he told us he wasn't going to be there, but he came!! Fast and testimony meeting are always a little nerve-wracking because who knows what crazy things people might say. But apparently the sisters start off every testimony meeting. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'm going with it. There was a sister in the ward that shared a really powerful testimony, so after the meeting I went over to thank her. She pulled me aside and said, "I don't want to say this in front of your companion because she's great too. But when you sat down from speaking last Sunday, A (her husband) looked at me and said, 'Now SHE is going to touch people's lives here.'" That was so sweet and made me feel really loved! It's been harder for me to get to know the members because I have to elbow my way in to get a word into the conversation sometimes. So it was nice to be recognized and appreciated. I know this work isn't about me. It's not even a smidgen about me, but it still feels good to have someone notice you, you know?

There are these kitties that we get to hold at this member's house and I actually like them. One, because they don't smell bad. And two, because I don't get to hold babies. I have to compensate somehow. 

It's way too cold in the morning to go running, so we try to work out inside. It doesn't really work. So we're looking into getting one of the Jillian Michaels dvds or something. (If you want to send that instead of the bread that would be pretty sweet. You don't have to though.) Oh and mom, don't send the tights without the feet on them. I don't have any boots, so I can't wear them anyway. 

Got my hair cut today. Feels good. Last time it was cut was when Trevor came home from his mish. 

I loved Trevor's costume. Haha. Awesome. 

Daylight savings time. AHHH. Blessings! An extra hour of sleep was great. When I have to give it back will be hard. Well... I don't know if they do that in Brazil. Eh, who knows, maybe I'll still be here. 

There's my Portuguese scripture case that Sister Orr from North Marion made me! Not sure if I sent that to you before. 

Well. Gotta go. Love ya! Stay in school kids.

Sister Baker

Oh, and my name was spelled Sister Backer in the program. Ha. Never had that happen before.


No comments:

Post a Comment